Monday, March 14, 2011

Cricket World Cup: Graeme Swann backs England progress


Spinner Graeme Swann is convinced England will overcome the West Indies on Thursday and progress to the quarter-finals of the World Cup.
England's form has been erratic so far, losing to Ireland and Bangladesh but beating South Africa and the Netherlands and tying with India.
Swann said: "If the wicket is as it was against South Africa, I'll be confident about bowling England to a victory.
"If we win four games now, we can win the World Cup."
But even a win against the Windies in Chennai in their final game does not guarantee England will qualify from Group B, with Swann and his team-mates also reliant on results elsewhere.
The Nottinghamshire off-spinner, who was fined 10% of his match fee for showing dissent to an umpire during the defeat by Bangladesh, has admitted to feeling tired after a long winter.
Some of England's players have been on the road since the end of October. They had four days at home after a draining tour of Australia where they secured a 3-1 Ashes victory but suffered a 6-1 defeat in the following seven-match one-day series before heading to the World Cup.
However, Swann is adamant his side have more to offer and could yet lift the trophy for the first time in their history.
"There's a little bit more in the tank to be honest," Swann told BBC Sport.
"The team are tired, it's been a long winter but we are certainly not using that as an excuse because six or seven of the other teams in world cricket share the same ludicrous schedule we do.
"It's something that I believe needs to be looked at for the game as a whole because I believe there is an element of overkill.
"But it's not an excuse we are going to use because the teams we are playing now are in the same boat. It's a level playing field.
"We do play too many cricket games to maintain the standard and eliteness of what world cricket should be.
"I'm very much speaking for myself. I feel it more than anyone else at the minute, I've just had a son at home and yet again I'm away.
"I want to reiterate that I'm not in any way complaining about my job because I love it, it's brilliant."
Bangladesh v England, Cricket World Cup 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment